Re: [NTLK] can't get NCU to work properly in Classic/OS X

From: Peter H. Coffin (hellsop_at_ninehells.com)
Date: Fri Jan 21 2005 - 10:10:35 PST

On Thu, Jan 20, 2005 at 11:17:34PM -0500, Ravindra Mohabeer wrote:
> I have a MP 2000, no dongle, but with a modem. I'm trying the infamous
> modem-to-modem interface. The problem is that neither of my two macs
> will let NCU give me an option to select modem as the way of
> connecting.

NCU doesn't know from "modem". It knows only "Appletalk" and "Serial".
You'll want "Serial" and point THAT at the same serial port your modem's
on. If your modem on the Mac doesn't look enough like a serial port to
let NCU find it, you're stuck.

> When I finally got NCU installed (it took forever to wait for the
> installer to work), I went to select the connection type and the only
> option I get is AppleTalk. Once I uncheck that, I have no other option
> to check. Why would that be?

No serial port on the Mac.

> 1. Why would NCU not install all of the connection options in Classic
> under panther on an iMac G4.

It's a program written to 1995 standards. It's a decade old.

> 2. Why can't NetHopper access any URLs if I am connected to my ISP?

Your ISP doesn't expect anything as unsophisticated as a Newton to be
connecting to it. Perhaps it presents a slightly out-of-spec DHCP, or
expects some kind of client software to be present to do a second layer
of authentication.

--
58. If it becomes necessary to escape, I will never stop to pose dramatically
    and toss off a one-liner.