[NTLK] can't get NCU to work properly in Classic/OS X

From: Ravindra Mohabeer (mohabeer_at_yorku.ca)
Date: Thu Jan 20 2005 - 20:17:34 PST

First off, Hi, I'm Ravi. I used to be on the list - quietly, a few
years ago but had to sell my Newton. I just bought another one and I'm
glad to have a little green guy in the family again.

Now my dilemma. I'm stuck without a way to move packages -- though I've
had a generous offer to help me out though I can't coordinate my
schedule to fit his.

All I want is to be able to run Escale (and to get myself a wireless
card -- but first things first) to sync and transfer with OS X.

I have a MP 2000, no dongle, but with a modem. I'm trying the infamous
modem-to-modem interface. The problem is that neither of my two macs
will let NCU give me an option to select modem as the way of
connecting. Actually, only one of the macs allowed me to install NCU in
classic and the other wouldn't even consider opening classic or
reinstalling classic support (who knows why).

When I finally got NCU installed (it took forever to wait for the
installer to work), I went to select the connection type and the only
option I get is AppleTalk. Once I uncheck that, I have no other option
to check. Why would that be?

I tried to do this on a PC at work but I couldn't figure out how to get
the modems to talk - even after I figured out which comm port was the
modem. There's no manual answer option (not that I could find) and I
had no success with launching NCU after I tried to connect the modem.

I'm assuming the modem works. It's slow, 14.4, but it's recognized. I
tried dialing my ISP - that worked, I think. The only net software I
have is NetHopper. I had enRoute but it wouldn't let me do anything,
saying that I had to go to the worksite selector. All I get when I use
NetHopper is 'looking for host.' The connected star shines so I assume
I'm connected to the internet but who knows.

Long and the short of this ridiculously long email:

1. Why would NCU not install all of the connection options in Classic
under panther on an iMac G4.
2. Why can't NetHopper access any URLs if I am connected to my ISP?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Ravi