[NTLK] Access second serial port (serial 03)

From: James Nichols (smilr_at_mac.com)
Date: Thu Jan 27 2005 - 14:55:26 PST

Okay - I've been trying desperately to get gps on my newton. I've
picked up a motorola Oncore gps brain - compatible antenna, put
together a regulated battery-fed power supply for it, and put together
an rs232 to newton serial cable.

The problem is that the Oncore is a TTL serial device - and the ttl to
rs232 adaptors I have seem to have been fried. One is completely
useless - I set it up to "loopback" output from the newton, so that it
should echo back what I type in Pt100. I get mostly gibberish, on my
second adaptor almost all characters work fine - EXCEPT the @ symbol,
which comes back as a 'p'. This is unacceptable - as the initialization
strings I need to send to the Oncore unit all start with '@@'

I could get another ttl to rs232 convertor sure, but I'm expecting to
want my keyboard to be functional at the same time as the gps (I've got
an ser001 board installed). Since the oncore unit is natively ttl, and
the "second" serial port on the NIC connector (serial 3) is ttl, and
GPSMap supports communicating on serial 3, and I want my ser001 board
open for the keyboard - why not just run the Oncore unit on serial 3
and skip the ttl convertor?

Sounds good - but I still need to muck about with initializing the
oncore unit - what I need is a terminal program like pt100 (or a patch
to pt100) that can access the serial 3 port. Anyone have any
suggestions?

J Tyler Nichols