Re: [NTLK] OT: beginning electronics

From: Joel M. Sciamma (joel_at_inventors-emporium.co.uk)
Date: Fri Jan 28 2005 - 06:36:13 PST

Thomas,

> I am interested in learning how to build electronic circuits (starting
> simple, obviously) and I getting frustrated trying to find good
> starting points.

I had a lot of problems finding a good primer eons ago when I started on
electronics and now I would suggest books from the Newnes stable:

<http://books.elsevier.com/default.asp?country=United+Kingdom>

Follow the links for Newnes.

Rather than some weighty tome, try R M Marston's Electronic Circuits Pocket
Book Vols 1 and 2 which combine light theory with practical circuits and
their component values so you can build a simple circuit, see how it works
and relate it back to the theory.

Information is also given about how compenents are made and their real-world
properties.

I have also had a lot value from browsing books of circuit ideas for mental
pump priming and to avoid reinventing the wheel.

I would recommend prototype breadboarding blocks where the components just
plug into a grid of contacts. It's a fast way to build and reconfigure a
circuit without soldering or damaging your components.

e.g. Look at RS Components' site at: <http://rswww.com/>

Type "breadboard" into the search field.

Joel.