[NTLK] Newton MessagePad

From: Andreas Nijenhuis (Andreas.nijenhuis_at_laposte.net)
Date: Sat Jul 09 2005 - 08:18:13 PDT

Hello Oliver,
I hope you are fine, and weren't hurt in any way last thursday.

Concerning the Newton : I don't remember if the IrDA connection works
between a PowerBook and the Newton. Maybe you know someone with another
Newton? Then you could transfer/beam the needed packages to yours. (Note
the internet packages are copy protected; you would need the EEunProtect
utility, available via UNNA, I think.)

Or else, use a keyspan USB/Serial adapter. I used such an adapter with my
Palm device before (and still do, in fact). It's convenient, *reliable*,
fast and not too expensive. Maybe there's some Palm user around who may
lend you one?

Now, I'm using an AirPort connection, and simply mail the packages I need
to the Newton that way. Inversely, I mail my Newton notes and so forth in
plain text format to the Mac running Panther 10.3.9. My WLI-PCM-L11GP
Buffalo card works fine with Hiroshi's WaveLan driver.

Every once in a while, I undust my PowerBook 5300 and use NCU on that,
using the AppleTalk cable. At least, the two computers understand each
other natively, since they're the same age :-) That's handy to use the
file conversion features of NCU.

Last option : borrow a memory card with the wanted packages on it; maybe
a Londoner Newton owner can chime in to help Oliver out?

Best regards,

Andreas