Re: [NTLK] Newton lights up but nothing on display

From: Frank Gruendel (newtontalk_at_pda-soft.de)
Date: Sat Jul 16 2005 - 17:55:46 PDT

> The display lights up but no images are shown on the=20
> screen.

What exactly do you mean by "lights up"? Do you mean
the backlight turns on? Or is anything visible on the
LCD?

> There is a transformer above the battery pack that
> hums at a high pitch. It never made that=20
> kind of noise before. Could this have something to
> do with it.

If it is silent when you turn the backlight off, it's the
backlight transformer. They all hum like that, some
more, some less. Maybe something has loosened in the
transformer. I doubt that this could cause your problem.

If you used to be able to connect your Newton serially,
and if you have a chance to put a package on a card
via another Newton or eMate, load DataRescue

http://www.unna.org/unna/utilites/DataRescue/DataRescue.pkg

onto this card. This little package does nothing but
automatically open the Dock and wait for your desktop
machine to make contact when you insert the card or
switch the Newton on. If your Newton is still OK in that
part of its hardware, you will then be able to back up your
data to the desktop computer using the Newton Backup
Utilities or similar software.

If you can't get this resolved (as in: your data is almost
lost anyway), follow the reset sequence I outline here

    http://www.pda-soft.d/2x00_disassemble.html

Don't change anything, no matter how unimportant it may seem.

If this doesn't cure things, there is a hardware problem.

Frank