Re: [NTLK] Backup packages on flash card? OR Where to get flash cards?

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Wed Jul 27 2005 - 07:54:24 PDT

Matthew Surles wrote:
> I was afraid you'd say EEtransfer. It's been quite a long time since
> I've used terminal software to transfer binary data. I'll save that
> for the weekend!
>
> Didn't know about package manager. I tried the card on a 2100, but
> it has to mount as read-only since it was created on a 120 running
> 1.3. I think I may have missed something when I ran Package Manager
> on the 120, though, so I may go back and look at it again tonight.
>
> Thanks much!
> -matt

Hmm if you can't mount the card normally (aka read only), then Package
Manager is not going to help you. If you can't change the data, you
can't change the "backup bit" which tells the Newton if the package
should be backed up or skipped. I have used this trick with larger
cards and I already have the packages and can reinstall if needed, but
just want to backup all the data. This really spreads up the backup
process. ;)

If you have trouble with EEtransfer, let me know. I should be able to
lead you though it. It is not that hard though. You only need to
install two of the EEtransfer packages. The core and the terminal.
Then it should be able to connect to a terminal on your system. If I
remember right the best way is to start the transfer on the desktop
terminal then start it with your Newton. Or at least that way worked
best for me.

-Dan