Re: [NTLK] Trouble syncing via Basilisk

From: Victor Rehorst (victor_at_newtontalk.net)
Date: Thu Jun 02 2005 - 10:46:31 PDT

Marcus Hammerschmitt wrote:
> I just found out I can even install packages, when originally stored in
> .sit-Format
> in a Windows folder accessible to Basilisk and expanded via Stuffit-Expander
> to a folder on the emulated Mac. But I can't install .pkg-Files which
> where retrieved originally in an Windows-ZIP archive. Can "Windows-adapted"
> .pkg-files be converted somehow so that they are accepted and installed
> via the emulated NCU on Basilisik?

You need to fix the Type/Creator codes on these files. There is a utility
called PackType that can do this for you.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/saweyer/newton/toolinfo.htm#PackType

> Last question for now: Is it a security issue to let Basilisk read
> and write files in Windows folders? Could a bug on either side
> mess up my disk?

No, Basilisk plays nice. The only annoying thing is that in any Windows
folder you view, Basilisk will create a folder called .finf to store file
attributes.