Re: [NTLK] [OT] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

From: Ola Tuvesson (ola_at_mikrogroove.com)
Date: Wed Jun 08 2005 - 18:34:52 PDT

-----Original Message-----
From: newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net
[mailto:newtontalk-bounce_at_newtontalk.net]On Behalf Of Raj Patel
Sent: 09 June 2005 01:25
To: newtontalk_at_newtontalk.net
Subject: Re: [NTLK] Concerning Apple's Switch to Intel Chips...

Probably should mark this thread as [OT] ...

NCU/NTK should work with Basalisk or VirtualPC I guess.

The big thing no one has mentioned is that if IBM pull-finger with the
PowerPC Apple can always stick with the PowerPC arch or run them in
tandem - G5's or Power5 family chips in the servers and Intel in the
consumer machines.

I guess what people need to realise is that Intel doesn't need to
equal generic PC. I remember SGI's (failed) line of intel PC's which
had the special SGI Irix style BIOS - I couldn't for the life of me
upgrade their NT4 workstations (even had working USB in NT4) to 2000
due to the propriatary BIOS (I'm guessing there is a workaround now).
So Apple/Intel could easily create something 'special' that couldn't
easily be ripped-off and was several steps removed from the run of the
mill intel-clone box.

Raj.

--
The big thing, and the big question is: Does this mean OS11 (or whatever)
will be compatible with the standard PC and will we be able to install and