Re: [NTLK] Newtsync connection tips

From: David Abramowitz (david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net)
Date: Mon Jun 13 2005 - 13:57:00 PDT

On Jun 13, 2005, at 3:34 PM, Tracy Haynes wrote:
> Hey friends-
>
> Can anyone help me connect my 2100 to my Powerbook using NewtSync?
> I've got the program on my PB Titanium, and I've got an Ethernet
> card and
> dongle for my Newton 2100. I'm just not sure where to go from
> there ( TCP /
> IP?)
> Any instruction would be much appreciated.

The first thing you want to do is visit the FAQ and make sure you
have all the required networking packages installed on your Newt.
Also make sure you can get the Newton on the Internet. Then...

The dance goes like this:

1. Put nSync anywhere on your hard drive.
2. Install the nSync package on your Newt.
3. Start nSync on your Newt, choose TCP/IP for the connection,
assuming you can normally connect your Newton that way to get to the
Internet...(otherwise you can do serial if you have the serial cable,
or a Serial->USB cable (KeySpan), put in the IP address of your
PowerBook, but don't hit Connect yet on the Newt.
4. On your PowerBook, make sure (a) the OS X firewall is setup to
allow port 15552, and (b) that your router is configured to route
port 15552 to the PowerBook.
5. Start up NewtSync on the PowerBook, choose TCP/IP (unless you're
connecting via serial, if so, choose your adapter from the pull-
down), and take a look at the preferences and make whatever
adjustments you'd like.
6. Hit Connect on the Newt. They should start talking.

One thing to note if you're running Tiger - the iCal headers have
changed, so NewtSync's calendar sync is broken. You can still do
Names/Address Book sync, however. Good luck. If it doesn't work, try
to be very specific about what steps you took and what happened.
You'll get better response/help that way.

- Dave