Re: [NTLK] PDF viewer

From: Dan (dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com)
Date: Thu Mar 10 2005 - 10:01:59 PST

Benedek Gergely wrote:
>>I think Adobe would have to do that - isn't it a closed protocol?
>
> Its an open standard.
>

>>It has been discussed before, and the answer was that it was too hard.
>
> Surely it cant be that hard if the graphics and embedded font parts were
> just ignored.

Well as previously stated, there is a lot more to it. There are tools
to extract just the text (the later versions of Acrobat will do this),
but it makes a real mess of it and it needs a LOT of formatting to get
everything back and readable. So you might bother to do this with one
or two that you really want to have, but that is probably all one will
bother with.

The only other way is to take a JPG of the PDF page and download that
into your newton and view it that way. There is a tool for this that
some one made...I don't have the link handy but search the archives and
you will find it. But you still have to get the JPG into the Newt and
probably the easiest way is to use Press to make a Newton Book. The
only problem is a JPG of each page is going to take a LOT of storage
space, so much so that it really limits the feasibility.

And if the PDF is encrypted or protected in anyway (which MANY of them
are) you won't be able to do anything at all.

-Dan