Re: [NTLK] RES: Battery drainage

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Mar 14 2005 - 15:10:10 PST

Agree. 850mAh is not that much. I have some old
PowerEx NiMH 2200s which run my Newt for about a month
with at least 1-2 hours use per day, BL-on and off.
And now adays it's difficult to find "AA" rechargeable
batteries under 2000mAh. I highly recommend Maha.
(http://www.mahaenergy.com) <not affiliated in
anyway...it's just that they have some of the best
NiMH>
That and proper battery maintenance is essential!
One of the reasons I like the Newt is that it can use
batteries long after other devices says that they are
empty!
I have a digital camera that eats batteries, but when
I put these "spent" batteries in my Newt, I get
several more weeks of use out of them! The secret to
battery longetivity is to never charge a partially
discharged battery...yeah, I know, I know...NiMH and
LiON aren't supposed to have a memory issue, but you
know what? I have been able to revive "dead" LiON
batteries and NiMH batteries by putting a load on them
then recharging them (a dell laptop I have had several
dead LiON batts. Froze them, discharged with a motor,
froze them again, smacked them on the ground and then
charged them. Revived 3 bad batteries!)
Most good NiMH chargers come with a discharge feature.
Use it every time you charge the batteries and you
should be fine! Plus, with LiON in laptops, I make a
point to discharge the batteries by using them on
battery power several times a week. I've lost a bunch
of expensive LiON batteries through continuous trickle
charging.
Ed
web/gadget guru

--- "Peter H. Coffin" <hellsop_at_ninehells.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 14, 2005 at 07:20:44PM -0300, gaudo
> wrote:
> > My MP 2000 have the same problem with batteries.
> They get empty very
> > fast. The beam is not in automatic and the
> backlight is always off. I
> > have eight reachargable sony batteries with 850mA
> and they get drained
> > in just one day. If I change them for 1800mA or
> 2300mA, the problem
> > will be solved?
>
> Rechargable batteries have a recharge cycle limit,
> and they fade by not
> being able to maintain voltage as long. 850 mAh
> sounds like nicad
> batteries, which are either very old technology or
> were purchased
> because they were very inexpensive. You'll be very
> happy with newer NiMH
> cells.
<snip>

"I'm not an expert, but I *did* stay at a Holiday Inn Express once..."
     --Holiday Inn Commercial