Re: [NTLK] Interconnect second serial port (was: FDTI usb)

From: Johannes Wolf (mp2100_at_mail-gw.estec.esa.int)
Date: Tue Mar 22 2005 - 06:06:38 PST

Again, the Mac provides a symmetric RS-422 interface (RX+ and Rx-, Tx+ and
Tx- & several handshake signals like HSKo and HSKi).
On the other side the MAX 232 - as the name already says, is a TTL to RS-232
level shifter!
Therefore you do NOT have RX- and NO Tx-.
In order to make an adaption RS-232 to RS-422 you need to connect Tx- to Rx
(MAX232) and the Rx- to Tx (MAX232)while the Rx+ (Mac side needs to be
connected to GND in order to interprete the UNSYMMETRIC signals coming from
the MAX 232 correctly)

Sorry, you are talking about serial channel2 on the NIC port???
I do only see channel0 and channel3 there.
channel 3 are TTL signals that could be used for yor project.

But the main problem I see here is the software bit - you need to address
this channel in order to use it, of course it will not work automatically.
As far as I know the serial channel2 (internal) is implemented into the OS
such that you can use PCMCIA card modems (or other serial devices like the
GPS cards).

Cheers
Johannes