Re: [NTLK] Cults and other fun topics

From: Goodwin, Greg P. (GoodwinG_at_aafes.com)
Date: Wed Mar 30 2005 - 05:54:53 PST

        Years ago at an Atari meeting in 1999, a reporter stopped in and
asked us why an Atari group was still going. He said "It's a religion".
I thought that was funny. We had our former club president who would
preach the Atari gospel and all that was going on in the world, new
advances of digital cameras and his Atari Falcon, and even the status on
the repair of his Hades Atari clone. =20
        After the new president came in, we still talked about how great
and fun the Atari stuff was over the soulless windows platforms and the
windows bloatware.
        In truth, Windows and the windows platform has made a great
"devil" for many user groups over there years I think. :D

        It was all funny. I got swept up in it, and later realized how
I had done so. There was nothing really wrong with the windows stuff,
and many platforms offer about the same thing.

        So my computer religious days are behind me actually. I use a
Newton because it is paid for, and it "fits the mission profile". =20

        I reward loyalty of a good working computer with continuing to
use it. I will use something till it falls apart, and don't necessarily
need the newest thing out there.
        BUT, should what I use fail, I am glad that strives are being
made to make better things out there, and one day, when what I am
currently using turns to dust from use, I will probably pick up one of
those great new gadgets. Maybe.

Greg Goodwin / Doc Clu