[NTLK] NewtNAV update

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu May 05 2005 - 09:17:28 PDT

> From: Adriano <adriano.angelillis_at_gmail.com>
> Subject: [NTLK] NewtNAV update
> Date: Thu, 5 May 2005 15:39:15 +0200
>
> Hi,
>
> NewtNAV is an adapter i made for connecting a GPS (serial) mouse to
> the MessagePad.
> Particularity is that this adapter let you both share data and power
> your GPS receiver using only one cable/adapter.

Its prototype is currently for evaluation in the extensive labs at the
Vollkasko Mansion. While proper function of GPS on Newton still hasn't
been established (still looking for the magic Init string that will
open the gates of joy for GPS Map as GPS listener), a few things can be
said about this specific adapter already:

        1. Works as designed. As mentioned before, this idea is originally
inspired by Ron Parker's LakeTahoeHikingNewton (actually by the wish to
get the same functionality but do away with all cables besides the
absolute minimum). On 2x00, this is the best solution in this respect
(besides using a PC Card or CF Card GPS, which are more power hungry,
though...), especially now since there is the NewtAC as
low-cable-clutter external power supply -- check the NewtAC-FAQ
http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/NewtAC !

        2. The plugged-in GPS mouse is switched off per default. As soon as
the GPS application starts, the GPS talker gets powered and usually has
a fix within a minute (depending on device, location, reception of sat
signals).

        3. As soon as the app is closed, the GPS talker shuts down, too, and
doesn't consume power anymore.

        4. NewtNav works great in the Interconnect port via IC dongle, and
works equally well in the serial port of Mr. PCBMan's Ser-001. (The
prototype has a handcrafted MiniDIN 9 plug, which doesn't fit very
deeply into Ser-001, but perfectly into the dongle. It doesn't fit an
old Mac's serial port, though, as the shielding is too thick and won't
fit into the tighter serial socket of the Mac. I understand this will
not be the case in the production-run NewtNavs, which will have
industry-standard plugs; it is just because this prototype has a
*handbuilt* MiniDIN 9-plug.)

        5. Vollkasko Research Labs haven't yet been able to use GPS via
NewtNav on IC and the Newton keyboard simultaneously. Whichever
peripheral is attached first dominates the input, no matter if it's to
Notes, or TermLimit, or... How can I have two serial devices run on the
Newton in parallel (keyboard and GPS, or GPS and modem,...)?

I'm very happy with the NewtNav's performance and Adriano's handling of
this project. As soon as NewtNav will be properly produced, you will
even get an additional bonus out of this product:
        It will directly connect your GPS receiver to any old-school Mac
serial port! So if you have an old Apple desktop or iBook/PowerBook,
this will be able to do GPS navigation, too!
        Or if you have NewtNav plus a Mac Serial(F)-to-DB9(M) adapter, you
will be able to plug into any regular Windows or Linux machine with COM
ports.
        Or take NewtNav, this Mac Serial-to-DB adapter and a USB-to-Serial
adapter (= the serial synching setup for current Apple gear, but with a
MiniDIN 9(F) socket... simply add a MiniDin 9(F)-to-(F) gender changer
and you should be doing alright), and any new i/PowerMac, i/PowerBook,
PC... can listen to your GPS talker. Talking about added value, this is
it!

(Say, are there any nice GPS applications for MacOS 8.x/9.x/Classic?
Haven't found much, and nothing freeware...)

> When i published the results of the previous tests made on the above
> GPS i made a stupid error:
> i let you know about the TOTAL power consumption of a MessagePad with
> AQ-300 connected and powered,
> instead to the GPS itself consumption is of 35mA only.
>
> I just updated all the pages related to the NewtNAV power consumption,
> as you will see on the links below:

Haha, and I'd thought that was a mistake and somebody screwed up those
pages and I've just unscrewed them back to 120 mA! Okay, I'll rescrew
them to 35 mA. No offense meant, mate!

> http://homepage.mac.com/adriano.angelillis/iMovieTheater9.html
>
> http://tools.unna.org/wikiwikinewt/index.php/PowerConsumption (a quick
> mention is at the end of the page)

The latter BTW was just created today. You can enter your Newton
peripherals there, and enter the consumption specs, too. This way we
can compare component's power hunger and see which are the most energy
efficient. Please dump any consumption data you have right there!

> NewtNAV actually is compatible with the AQ-300 GPS mouse only,
> in the next future new compatibility charts will be released
> based upon new GPS receivers specific pinout.
> So, anyone interested on the making of his own Newton to GPS
> cable/adapter please just send me a message privately including a
> short report of his
> GPS specs.

And may I say it is a pure joy to work with Adriano?

D. Vollkasko