Re: [NTLK] Newton GPS prob: "GPS: 0" -----

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Tue May 10 2005 - 15:11:13 PDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] Newton GPS prob: "GPS: 0" -----
From: DJ Vollkasko <DJ_Vollkasko () gmx ! net>
Date: 2005-05-08 17:00:25

[...]

>Bonus: The Monitor now only shows GGA, RMC and VTG sentences coming in
>(unlike last week...) -- just like I wanted it! Yay! Seems the Init
>strings I'd used in GPS Map configured the receiver, which keeps the
>settings in its RAM as long as its rechargeable battery lasts (32 =
days,
>recharges during normal use; after longer intervalls it will be reset
>by the Init strings in GPS Map). Another brilliant triumph for Team
>Newtonia!

Well, not quite... Today there were all messages coming in again. I =20
*do* need to configure this from a desktop. Fortunately, yesterday the =20=

USB-to-serial adapter (Prolific PL-2303 chipset) came, I was able to =20
connect with OSX and get position readings via GPS Connect and GPSNavX. =20=

Worked well!
        (For anybody interested in reproducing my GPS solution with =
AQmax =20
AQ-300-U-PS2 and Adriano's fabulous NewtNav for AQ-300: The C3001 =20
USB-to-Serial adaptor the manufacturer offers doesn't have proper =20
drivers and no installation manual on the driver-CD; better to get the =20=

most current Prolific PL-2303 drivers for your desktop's OS from =20
http://tech.prolific.com.tw/visitor/v_fileBrw.asp?=20
cateId=3D85878&cateName=3DUSB+1%2E1+Full%2DSpeed+Cable+Controllers .)

But I couldn't find the Mac-equivalent to Window's SiRFdemo.exe, with =20=

which I would be able to set the drivers settings. Anybody can help =20
here? How did you configure your GPS receivers from Mac desktops?

>So, I was very happy. Well, as things go, my pure and childish joy =
very
>soon fizzed away, when I tried to get my original data restored to =
Card
>2. The restore went nicely, BUT THEN...
> LIGHTNING STRIKES! Restore went great, the Newton restarted, and =
when
>it wanted to activate the packages on Card 2, it just stalled. I =
forced
>a reboot (pwr + reset), removed card, waited until Newton was up and
>had activated all packages in Internal and Card 1 stores. Then I
>reinserted Card 2 -- after a couple packages, the activation stalled
>again (not always on the same package, though...). ARRRGH -- RATS!!!!
>
>Well, seems like I have a new Mayday call:
>
> *** How can I get the =A7$%&#!-card to activate its =
=A7$%&#!-packages?
> Or how to erase the card completely so I can try the restore =
again? =20
***

Seems the index is frizzed, no way Newton can activate the packages and =20=

let me format it. But I *need* this card, don't worry about the data, I =20=

have a backup from Friday ;=3D} , I just have to reanimate the frizzed =20=

card, resp. index.

So: How can I get Newton-storage card recognized in a Powerbook so I =20
can completely reformat the card? Is there anywhere a tool for such =20
card-formatting?

>Say, what's a good Navigation + GPS application for OS X
>(with European topographical maps in 1:50.000 or even 1:25.000,
>preferably)?

Still [WTB]: Route 66 Europe or European/German topographical map =20
wares. Reasonable offers offlist, pls.

Thanks, everybody -- especially Adriano!

DJV.=