[NTLK] FYI Sucess Copying MEMORY Cards on PC

From: John Royston (jroyston_at_gmail.com)
Date: Fri May 13 2005 - 21:14:54 PDT

List,

I have been working on Backing up memory cards on a PC to an image for
use if data loss occurs and to end the bootstrap once and for all. So
we could create and image anyone could D/L and burn to a card from a
PC and have drivers/setups needed.

I have successfully done that with Memory Card Explorer v3-19 from
Elan Digital Systems.

http://www.elandigitalsystems.com/copy/index.php

I installed it on windows XP laptop and copied a card then wrote it to
a card of the same size and it worked perfectly in my Newton

I have been using it with 8mb Centennial Tech Cards FL08m-20-11138-67
It apparently will work for like size cards. I have imaged a 4mb card
EDGE pcml-00-004m-seratt and put it back on that card but 4mb image
will not go on an 8mb card. I can not test much due to not having a
lot of memory cards. But I can confirm

1) This PRG works
2) 8mb to image to another 8mb card works
3) 4mb to image to same card works
4) 4mb to image to 8mb card will not work.

The program is costly 323.00 (I bought it) however it has a 30
unlimited trial period
which will be long enough for anyone to write the comms drivers to a card
I will be building 8mb and 4mb images for the essential comms driver.
I also am building a site to put them if anyone needs them as time
permits or if their is interest in this.

I need someone if their is anyone out their interested in this to help
me test on other cards ect. I have not tried coping cf cards using
Pauls ATA drivers. The cards I am using are the same part# I need to
see if this works on other cards of the same size. I'm not sure due to
limited card resources but as a group we can hash this out.

John Royston