Re: [NTLK] FYI Sucess Copying MEMORY Cards on PC

From: PCBman (deepthought_at_ix.netcom.com)
Date: Mon May 16 2005 - 07:43:58 PDT

John,

I have had the Memory Card Explorer software and hardware for some
time now. In fact, I think I mentioned this in a previous email when I reported
a successful backup of a Fodor rom card.

The reason you were unable to backup a 4MB image to a 8MB card
is due to attribute memory.

Cards can be made with or without attribute memory. The attribute
memory, among other things, tells a device how big physically the card is.

It is a separate bit of memory but is mapped to the same addresses the
first sector ocupies. The length varies depending on the size of the card.

Bottom line: If you have an 8MB card w/attribute memory it will report this
to the device. Putting a 4MB image on it won't work as the attribute
memory will report a bigger card.

Solution:

Buy a PC card writer that can write to the attribute memory (hard)

Buy a card with no attribute memory (easy)

A card without attribute memory will accept any image small enough to
fit on it AND will work.

Regards,

PCBman