Re: [NTLK] eMate hinge lube, without disassembly?

From: Dan K (dankephoto_at_comcast.net)
Date: Mon Nov 07 2005 - 10:42:02 PST

Well, after reading the advice here and the takeapart page here:
<http://www.pda-soft.de/body_emate_disassemble.html>

...I came to the realization I'd best just knuckle down and do it right.
Good thing I did as one of the hinges had already sprung one of its
springs. As predicted, the takeapart wasn't difficult.

a couple comments:

It's hard to judge how tight the clutch springs should be before you
reassemble the eMate. I made them a tad looser than I would have liked,
but as they're acceptable I'll leave them as is. If I ever do this repair
again I'll keep that in mind and make the clutches slightly tighter than
I think necessary.

Also, the hinge shafts get worn where the springs grip, so rather than
reassembling the hinges with the springs back in their old locations I
swapped the springs within each clutch. That is, the springs' loop part
is now closer to the center of the clutch assembly, where they now ride
on virgin shaft surface. (I hope y'all understand what I mean!) It makes
no difference to the clutch's function and I figured it might give the
repair extra longevity as the worn shaft is part of the reason the
springs gall and catch in the first place..

Thanks again for all your comments and advice!

dan k