Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: Jon Glass (jonglass_at_usa.net)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 08:08:18 PST

On Nov 9, 2005, at 6:25 AM, Chris wrote:

> There are certainly other package installers out there like NewTen or
> Escale that are OS X Native.

I have yet to get either of these to work for me. I either get a kernel=20=

panic (NewTen, usually) or it pretends to be installing, but will sit=20
there all night with the progress bar on the Newton not moving (yes, it=20=

sat all night) and I end up force quitting, sometimes with a kernel=20
panic. I eventually gave up trying, as those kernel panics are a bit=20
stressful for me.... ;-)

> NewtSync there is still work to do for the AddressBook and Calendar
> but it pretty much works - sorta.

I can get NewtSync to work sometimes, but it is always hit or miss. I=20
find it easier to simply do one-way transfers, wiping my Newton's=20
address book, but then I lose my owner info, etc. So I have yet to find=20=

a good system for names either.....

I know that some people have all these things working for them, but I=20
suspect that they have rather plain-jane installations on their=20
Newtons, and in their address books, etc. I have over a thousand names,=20=

and do not see how I could have any less on my Newton. Worse, it seems=20=

that the notes field is what causes the problems, and I use the notes=20
for lots of extra data, and leaving that field blank is not an option.=20=

:-( So, I use my Newton for what I use it for, and suffer with=20
out-of-date data on it, and just use it as a stand-alone device.

I do hope that someone, someday will get something working reliably.
--=20
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland

"If your pictures aren=92t good enough, you=92re not close enough." - =20=

Photojournalist Robert Capa