Re: [NTLK] Native installer for NCU and OS X Update

From: Laurent Daudelin (laurent.daudelin_at_verizon.net)
Date: Wed Nov 09 2005 - 19:48:40 PST

on 09/11/05 18:29, James Lee at kingjames_at_shaw.ca wrote:

> I'm currently at the crossroads having to decide whether to buy a
> ATA-133 card or a firewire enclosure. The card costs twice that of the
> enclosure. Theoretically, the card supports up to 4 drives whereas one
> can have many more firewire drives connected in series. Furthermore,
> the firewire drive has the flexibility in that it is portable enough to
> go along with one's PowerBook. Other than the clutter of having an
> additional piece of hardware sitting on one's table top and also having
> to use an AC adaptor to power the firewire drive, I don't know of any
> other disadvantage of having the 'supersized' hard drive as an external
> drive. Perhaps someone may attest to the possibility of a faster speed
> of data transfer via the ATA-133 card than through firewire?
>
> As you can see, Laurent, I'm leaning towards getting an external
> enclosure and thus I am very interested in knowing your rationale in
> picking the ATA-133 card over the 'externalized' solution. I'm probably
> ignorant about many things as I'm not a techie and I would like to make
> the right decision.

Well, in my case, I just didn't want to have the clutter of multiple
enclosures sitting on the computer. I've got my card from eBay for around
$65 if I remember correctly. So, it was not that much higher than an
enclosure for a 3.5 drive. Plus, I don't have to worry that somebody would
disconnect the drive or turn it off. Finally, I save a few spots on my power
bar. And if you have fast drives, I think you would get a better throughput
from the ATA-133 card than regular FireWire. Might not be true for FireWire
2, but those enclosures are way more expensive than regular FireWire
enclosures...

-Laurent.

Evil Empire n.: [from Ronald Reagan's famous characterization of the
communist Soviet Union] Formerly IBM,now Microsoft. Functionally, the
company most hackers love to hate at any given time. Hackers like to see
themselves as romantic rebels against the Evil Empire, and frequently adopt
this role to the point of ascribing rather more power and malice to the
Empire than it actually has. See also Borg and search for Evil Empire pages
on the Web.