[NTLK] OT: The new $100 MIT Laptop (was new Emate)

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Fri Nov 18 2005 - 02:22:12 PST

Subject: [NTLK] OT: The new $100 MIT Laptop (was new Emate)
From: Raj Patel <phigmov () gmail ! com>
Date: 2005-11-17 23:01:36

>Looks pretty funky -
>http://laptop.media.mit.edu/news.html
>http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20051117-5594.html

Sure does, and it's green, too.

>I love the different orientations and the claim of 30min battery life
>for 1min cranking.

Yes, and if the generator can be used to provide power for external
devices... E.g. recharge cells for a flash light, (ham) radios,
etc.--total autonomy from the grid for plenty peripherals and tools,
like you can do with the Freeplay radio, the 1990s predecessor of this
very concept.

>They could almost sell a version to non third world countries for $200
>with some more features to subsidise the production of the cheaper
>models.

They will. I understand that the US$ 100 Laptop will be more likely a
EUR 100,-- or GBP 100,-- thing to be offered at twice the price to
industrialized countries to cross-subsidize the effort for the
undeveloped countries. Sweet.

>Very eMate-esque it has to be said.

Don't like the HWR input field, though. Okay, nice to have that also
serve as trackpad, but touchscreen is nicer (though the screen *does*
take more wear...).

>Be great to have something like
>this with a Newt OS.

Three words: Linux. Einstein. 2007.