Re: [NTLK] WriteRightWrong

From: Jake Bordens (newton_at_allaboutjake.com)
Date: Fri Nov 25 2005 - 08:21:27 PST

I would caution people about the "slip under the case" screen guard.
I ruined a screen using one of these. You have to be certain that
there are no particles under the guard otherwise as you slide it
around, you'll be doing damage to the screen. What's worse, is that
the edges of the screen seem to breed dust and dirt, and when you
slip this type under an even perfectly clean screen, the guard seems
to draw out contaminates from under the screen bezel.

This is just my experience.

I do prefer the "rigid" screen guard variety on my devices, but the
kind that has a mild adhesive on one side. Though I've never tried
it, you're supposed to be able to hose them off under running water
without affecting the adhesive.

Since they're rigid, they stick down nearly all at once with no
bubbles. Any dirt underneath is immediately visible as an area which
won't sick down.

You can also apply scotch tape, sticky side, to the sticky side of
the screen guard. When you peel the scotch tape back up, any lint,
dust, or particles goes with the tape, leaving the screen guard clean.

I use a variety of these on my devices. My cell phone has a Pelican
version meant for a PSP. One of my Newtons has a PocketPCTechs.com
anti-glare version. The other has a Boxwave crystal clear version.
PocketPC sells larger "custom cut" kits that you can get (I think a
1/2 sheet will work on the Newton.) Boxwave sells a 9x12" sheet as a
custom order.

As a general rule, I find this type of protector much easier to
apply, as it maintains its shape and doesn't stretch, wrinkle or
bubble. The ability to clean them with scotch tape is another
feature, as I usually can't get it down dust free on the first try.
With a WriteRight, you've pretty much ruined it and need a new one.

Jake