Re: [NTLK] BT-001: Internal Bluetooth Card for MP2x00

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Thu Oct 06 2005 - 12:53:29 PDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] BT-001: Internal Bluetooth Card for MP2x00
From: Jake Bordens <newton () allaboutjake ! com>
Date: 2005-09-23 11:08:30

> On Sep 23, 2005, at 5:01 AM, DJ Vollkasko wrote:
>>
>> Well done, Jake! And just in time for troubleshooting and pre-
>> production
>> orders ;=} before Blunt 2 will blow our minds away (it will be
>> permanently-on and allow mutltiple devices)! Eckhart seems to make
>> steady progress (see http://www.40hz.org/mottek ), so this will
>> be one heck of a
>> tag team! (Next: Dear developers, pls. BTify more of your apps...
>> ;=} )
>
> I'd definitely like to collaborate on building a Blunt 2 compatible
> module. I haven't heard from Eckhart yet though. Does anyone out
> there in list-land know a good address for him? I just emailed his
> support_at_40hz.org address, which means
> my message is probably lost in a sea of Blunt support
> requests...

Don't think so, Blunt is not that kind of buggy. It's just that Eckhart
is a
very busy person who *does* have a life ;=} and he usually
batch-processes
all his Newton-mails every once on a while. Or in slightly longer
intervalls
than that...
If you hit him with developing questions, I'd be surprised if you had to
wait very long. Unless he'd on vacation.

>> Some [Q]'s for you:
>> -- Did you put Class 1 or Class 2 BT in there?
>
> Class 1 Bluetooth v1.2 I believe.
>
>> -- What range do you get out of it?

Range and speed testing would be nice -- e.g. transfer some ebooks that
together make up two or three MB and see how long it takes over which
distance (a) unmoved and line-of sight as well as (b) moving the Newton.

>> -- Where do you place the antenna?
>
> The antenna is internal. You can see it in the picture sticking
> out from the board a bit.

Could you take some snaps of the assempled thing? How much does the
antenna
stick out of the case? How'd you deal with the shielding inside the Newt
(Eckhart wrote something about this in his "old" blog, see archived
posts at
his blog).

>> -- What power consumption does BT-001 have in operation/in idle mode?
>
> Again, not tested. Specs say 2mA in idle.

Could you hook a meter to it to measure idle and operating consumption?

> There's a "deep sleep mode" that draws only 90uA, but I'd need another
> pin to "wake up" the module after. Right now, I use the one and only
> extra GPIO pin on the internal connector for "reset" (you have to
> reset the module or it won't work after power up.)

Hmh, I wonder how Eckhart does this with his internal Bluetooth hack...
And
I think he soldered his chip in there. Your board is all Plug-'n'-Play,
right?

>> -- Does it have a green blinky light? ;=}
>
> No LEDs (there's nothing outside the newt to see, even if it had one)

A serious design flaw! ;=} That's the best part about the Sphinx Pico
Card
that I have -- it's only BT Class 2 (= max. 10 m range ;={ ), but the
antenna is in a translucent *green* case that sticks out on the card
slot
and has a *green* and yellow LED that blinks green when it transmits
stuff.
Made for Newton, I tell ya!
    That LED also alows you to see from a distance when the transmission
is
completed, nice for doing installs of ebooks which can take quite a
while,
esp. if you transfer a batch at once... ;=}

>> -- Could this baby also be tied into an eMate? (THAT would rock
> so hard...!
>
> I don't have an eMate, and I don't know if the eMate has an
> internal modem slot like the MP2x00

Any hardware-savvy folks out there able to advise?

Cheers,

D.