[NTLK] Why Sync if no need to?

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Oct 14 2005 - 04:58:04 PDT

What's this compulsion anyway to sync everything under the sun to
something else? LOL.

I used to have "sync disease" until it occurred to me the net cost in
time and effort exceeded the net gain of syncing.

After twenty years of trying every conceivable form of paper, PDA, or
chiseling into stone, I have come to the conclusion I'd rather just use
paper and pencil when possible, then if the information or data I'm
dealing with will need to be manipulated in some way or if it's shear
quantity is large enough then I'll go electronic. Then, I have come the
realization that I CAN adequately keep track of ALL my calendar and ToDo
needs using TimeTrax on my Newton so why would I want to sync it back to
my desktop unless I need to? The only need would be handle our output
mass or specific needs.

I now keep track of all my calendaring and ToDo needs on my Newton ONLY.
No more desktop PIM for this. No syncing, as there is no need and the
net cost/benefit does not justify the sync for _my_ needs. As for
Contacts, I must admit I still use my desktop PIM/CRM [DayLite from
marketcircle.com] because I have to print out top notch looking letter
correspondance which requires a very high level of formating that I can
only achieve from a desktop or laptop workstation using the likes of a
word-processor on the level of "Word." I'll use the built in editor in
DayLite, or Pages, before firing up "Word" only as a last resort as I
hate "Word", but unfortunately I have to admit it does do the job.

If there were a way I could get top-level formatting out of my Newton
then I suppose I could even eliminate having to use my desktop to handle
my contacts and letter-writing needs, but IS THERE SUCH A NEWTON WORD-
PROCESSOR ??????

John

10/14/05 Adriano issued the following and I have taken literary license
to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?