Re: [NTLK] NCU

From: Zoont Foomby (zoontf_at_gmail.com)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 11:13:17 PDT

Out of curiosity, why should it matter how the NCU installer is downloaded,
since it is a Stuffit archive. If it was downloaded in ASCII mode (which I
didn't know modern browsers even did), and as such the download messed up
the file, Stuffit should not have been able to extract the NCU installer
from the archive... we shouldn't even be able to get as far as running the
installer. I have a feeling that the step where you reinstalled classic was
where things got fixed...
How did you force Omniweb to download the file as binary and not ASCII? This
is a common option in doing FTP transfers, but I don't think I've seen a
choice of how to download files (ASCII v Binary) in a browser for a very
long time (maybe Mosaic did that? Lynx probably had an option...). OR, did
you download the file via FTP from UNNA (is that possible)?

Since I know 'tone of voice' is hard to interpret from an e-mail, please do
not read this as flame. I'm not calling you wrong, I just don't understand.

BTW, assuming that your discovery about the ASCII vs Binary download of NCU
is correct, it is quite an important note... one we should perhaps have the
UNNA coordinators post as a note on the download page for NCU at UNNA.

Thanks,

--
The more succinct your sig,
the more you grok the net.