Re: [NTLK] Anyone out there printing to a network?

From: Andrei Chichak (newton_at_chichak.ca)
Date: Mon Oct 17 2005 - 22:13:05 PDT

At 09:28 PM 10/17/2005, you wrote:
>With the move to USB and network aware printers, has anyone out there
>figured out how to print to a network printer? I have the print pack and the
>Newton serial to parallel converter. But in this day and age, parallel
>printers are becoming more rare. So the logical and convenient method would
>be to print through the Newton's network interface. I have a Newton 2100upg,
>an Ethernet card and a wifi card, all working perfectly. I have a Epson, USB
>printer shared on an XP box. So, any insights?

NT 4.0 server as well as 2000 server came with Macintosh printing and file
sharing services. I use this to make my HP LaserJet IID into a wicked
postscript printer for Macs and my newts.

I'm not sure how the Appletalk from the Newt would pass through your WIFI
since it is not a routable protocol, so you might want to start off with
the wired connection.

If you get the pieces in place, your Epson would look like a shared
Appletalk printer that talks postscript. For some odd reason my HP works
better this way than using native PCL. (no, I don't have a localtalk card
or a postscript cartridge in the printer, it's just stock)

Andrei