[NTLK] 12 Meg Internal Ram Chips [was..Defragging Newton]

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Tue Oct 18 2005 - 05:24:11 PDT

Greg,

Can you please elaborate on this?

When you say 12 meg internal ram PCB's, exactly how would one connect
these, possibly through the expansion jack sometimes used for the serial
board thing? ...or would the upgrade entail delicate soldering to
"replace" what's now soldered into the logic board?

Second question, assuming either of the above can be accomplished, then
what about the Newton operating system recognizing and gracefully
handling the newly implanted internal ram? Is there any possibility
that there would be a downside?

If all of the above can are feasible, then there's no reason why we
couldn't coordinate a massive production run. I have the business
expertise to coordinate, manage, finance, and retail at near cost to the
group the chips, if I could partner with a someone who's willing to
handle the technical side of locating a vendor and specing it all out.
It would be a piece of cake. Once the initial order was completed and
everyone on the pre-order list got their chips at cost, then I'd just
sell off the over-runs at a profit to the public over time.

Email me off list if you are not IC engineeringly challenged by the
technical side of this simple task, have the know how and the vendor
connections, I'll handle the business and finance side of it all and
we'll get the ball running in a matter of weeks.

First things first, I'll need to hear from people who can handle the
former part of the above plan, the technical side that is. You would
certainly be entitled to be compensated as would I a small fair pittance
financially for the time and effort, the expense of which would be
spread across the quantity of the number of chips ordered and have
little impact on the price to our group members. Then if any are left
over I'll just retail them online at double or triple the cost, etc to
dump them.

Email me at OceanCity_at_mac.com

John

10/18/05 Goodwin, Greg P. issued the following and I have taken
literary license to pass it along on a "Need to Know Basis" . . . ?