[NTLK] Making some noise (recording and playback)

From: mkow1234_at_aol.com
Date: Wed Oct 26 2005 - 15:13:25 PDT

The deafening deafness of the list, in light of DJ's appeals for others to contribute sound files had me pondering a bit today. Why don't more folks take advantage of the Mad Max application and convert .mp3 sound bytes or copyright free stuff to the Newton .pkg format? It is very likely many of these folks are still using pre-MP 2100 Newtons. No problem. There's STILL a way for these folks to get in on the act.

Using the Newton's microphone (which can be adjust for different recording levels in the Preferences section -- You knew that, didn't you?), you can record and playback songs, lectures, and yes, even spooky Halloween sounds. You will need to download and use VoiceNotes or similar Newton app that allows for the recording of notes longer than sixty seconds. By the way, VoiceNotes technically will NOT expire. After the expiration of the demo, simply save at least one old voice note recording. Duplicate the note, rename it, and you're good to go for more recording fun! Now start doing something more interesting and useful than endless speculation on the availability of clear Newtons and Steve Jobs' latest exploits!

What's that you say? You're a programmer in need of a project idea? Well, here's one for ya! With all of the Newton's sound playback capabilities, it would be a logical choice for a sound generator app (You know, those things that you plug in and turn on when you have trouble sleeping because of a barking dog next door, etc. Sound generators typically reproduce loon calls, crickets, waves crashing on a beach, rain falling, etc.) What we could use is an ugrade for Mad Max, something that would permit a repeatable track function. Then, assuming we could find some .mp3s of nature sounds, we could use Mad Max as a sound generator!

So you say you're NOT a programmer? Well, fine! How's about acquiring some copyright text sources or write some of your own? Save files as Word .rtf files, import into Newton Press, and you're good to go. Don't forget to share! Now let's see an end to the endless speculation on clear Newtons, Steve Jobs, and what Apple is coming up with next! What an utter waste of bandwidth!

Matt the K-ster