Re: [NTLK] Proper NCU installation to PowerMac G4

From: John Skinner (john_at_johnskinner.net)
Date: Thu Sep 08 2005 - 23:24:59 PDT

On Mon, 5 Sep 2005 08:24 AM, John Hay <OceanCity_at_mac.com> wrote:

> I have downloaded the NCU1.0Installer.sit (3.47 MB) image file from
> UNNA and used it to install NCU onto my G4 running 9.2.2. For some
> reason NCU did not properly install completely as the NCU splash
> window telling me to establish a connection from my Newton appeared
> by no "menu" items did. As a result, as Marty pointed out to me, I
> was unable to set any preferences for NCU, and ultimately unable to
> establish a simple wired serial connection to my 2100.

I just re-visited this setup last night on my PowerMac G4 running Mac
OS 9.2.2 natively (not Mac OS X).

I was reminded of a problem that always happens when installing NCU.
The installer will just sit there forever giving you a spinning beach
ball cursor.
(I think I remember if you let it sit there long enough, it may
finally get to the next step.)

Anyway, the fix for this is to restart with extensions off [by
holdding down the SHIFT key after powering on (still native Mac OS,
pre-OS X)], and install NCU. It will run fast like it should, then
you can restart.

I hope this fixes your connectivity problems too :)