[NTLK] Re(2): Proper NCU installation to PowerMac G4

From: John Hay (OceanCity_at_mac.com)
Date: Fri Sep 09 2005 - 02:42:16 PDT

hhhhhhhhhhmmmmmmmmm............ interesting you should mention the NCU
installer anomaly. As I had been in the same situation struggling to
install NCU on my PowerMac G4 to no avail, the installer would run
ostensibly to do it's job start to finish. I would then launch NCU. NUC
would appear to run normally with the exception that I could never
initiate a connection from my Newton to my desktop, and, no NUC "menu"
ever appeared at the top of my screen, thereby giving me no way to
access the NCU prefs, and ultimately never making any connection from
desktop to Newton.

After a week of torment troubleshooting, and then finally with Marty's
help pointing out almost by accident that I had no NCU "prefs" menu, I
ended up wiping my hard drive clean by reinitiating it from an os9 CD,
then installing a fresh os9 9.2.1 to my internal drive, then setting the
preferences in Internet Explorer in os9 for all .pkg downloads to be
"binary". Then downloaded a fresh copy of the NUC from UNNA, installed
it, and had instant success, got a solid serial connection right away
and had my NCU preferences in the menu again.

Long story short, two things had changed between the failed setup and
the working setup. I had reinstalled a clean copy of os9, and, I had
downloaded the NCU from UNNA with benefit of the "binary" setting. So
which of the two changes resulted in my success ;-) ??

NTK

(need to know .....basis)

9/9/05, 2:24 AM, John John Skinner communicated the following . . .