Re: [NTLK] turning the rumor mill

From: DJ Vollkasko (DJ_Vollkasko_at_gmx.net)
Date: Wed Sep 28 2005 - 23:48:40 PDT

Subject: Re: [NTLK] turning the rumor mill
From: Norman Palardy <npalardy () great-white-software ! com>
Date: 2005-09-23 20:40:07

> A flash based Newton with the form factor of a Nano would be
> darned near perfect
> Small, light, fast, and useful !

How you supposed to write on that small screen acreage? That kinda real
estate is south of usifulinessabillerty, which would make the whole
thing
something that would serve as external HD drive with address book and
yer
dates included plus audio and video playback... Now that WOULD would be
really hot, even if it had not much to do with a Newton. To keep it in
line
with current Apple naming conventions, they could call it, wait,...

the iPod!

Yeah, that sumhow rings nice, no?

> The current Newton form factor is both a blessing and a curse
> Large enough to read a book or manual on (try that with a Treo
> or Palm ... ick)

Right on, man, but don't forget the battery life. My Dr.
Gruendelstein(TM)-recelled batts last me 24 to 30 hrs, depending on
backlight usage. Try to read a book with a device where the batts are
always
run down when you've read a couple hundred pages... Should say pagies,
tho,
considering the display sizes of those toys...
    The Netbook, now, *that* was a nice device, a friend has one with
complete
GPS routing solution (sorely missed for the Newton) with only one
serious
flaw: Doesn't have a beeper, so there's no "waypoint approaching/turn
coming
up" notification beep. You chatting in the car, you miss every single
turn.
Pretty funny, tho.

> But, also a tad too large to fit your pocket

Might be because I'm pretty badassed, but no probs wid dem ole 501s.
Perfect
fit.
And when I'm commuting to work and back, I always got some bag along
(lugging some paperwork, an analogue camera and other gear around).
Man, you
could even put the 2k into yer ole Gremlins-lunchbox if you'd leave the
thermos home and only took yer snacks and yer Hulk action figure, you
sissy!
;=}

D.