Re: [NTLK] State of the NewtSync

From: Dave Abramowitz <david.abramowitz_at_verizon.net>
Date: Thu Apr 13 2006 - 15:45:06 EDT

=====================
2. Address Book syncing appears very strongly tied to having groups.
I don't have any Address Book groups, and this is probably why AB
syncing has never worked quite right for me. No groups = no
checkboxes to check in the "which groups would you like to sync" = no
addresses synced. I would have to add some sort of mode to ignore
groups if you don't have them or don't want to use them.
=====================

=====================
2. Address Book syncing appears very strongly tied to having groups.
I don't have any Address Book groups, and this is probably why AB
syncing has never worked quite right for me. <snip>
=====================

Indeed, I just created a group called All and dragged all my contacts into it
in AB, then chose this in NewtSync as the group to sync. The only gotcha I
ran into with the AB sync was that if you are in your Mac's address book,
which you most likely are, and you choose the Mac for conflict resolution, it
will essentially overwrite your owner card in Names on the Newt. And that can
cause problems with certain software registrations on the Newt that depend on
your name. In my case, my Mac had David Abramowitz, while on the Newt I was
Dave Abramowitz. This, and I think the other stuff got blown away too
(SimpleMail settings, etc...) on the Newt side, when the Mac overwrote the
entry. Just a heads up.

All of my name/contact changes are made on the Mac, so it's natural to just
tell NewtSync to resolve conflicts with the Mac's entry, but it can lead to
trouble with your personal entry...

- Dave

Thanks,
Dave