Re: [NTLK] Going for a Newton

From: Roman Pixell [GMail] <roman.pixell_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 04 2006 - 17:23:48 EDT

IMHO, the newt is a super portable rather than a PDA, treat it like
that. it has OK email and RSS support and basic browsing abilities.
the internet connection is most handy with the globetrotter card,
see http://www.pixell.net/GT/ (yes, my server seems to bo online
again, also http://www.pixell.net/newton)

the size of the newt is comparable to a VHS tape, and the weight is
around 1/2 kg. the battery time i get is around one week with heavy
use, including kbd and BT communication with a modified card. im
using 4x2500 AA nmh cells.

if you want internet and a lot of apps running, i would not advise
the mp2000, go for the mp2100 and even consider a pixsolution upgrade.

what regards syncing, ive given it all up. newtsync exists, but seems
to make me loose more hair that it actually makes the newt sync. for
windows there seem to be quite decent sync options though, but i
never tried any of them. if you want to exchange data with the mac,
use routing (sending objects manually between the two) or make damn
sure to backup what youre trying to sync before every sync, it is
probably be wiser than not.

i got my third MP2100 for 70USD in mint condition back in 2002 which
was obviously a good price, dunno about the supplies/prices nowadays,
but should it really be that more expensive? if youre OK with an
MP2000, i think i have a spare i can sell.

the rest is, like they say, in the FAQ: http://www.chuma.org/newton/faq/

i think you should really really read it

/ ®