Re: [NTLK] A programming question (Newton as a controller for an electric motor)

From: Florian Mosleh <indigo_at_13th-floor.org>
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 10:55:44 EDT

Hi, I have a question about this idea.
On most cars, isn't cruisecontrol a system whereby the amount of
acceleration is continuously adjusted in order to maintain a constant
speed?

It seems to me that simply maintaining a constant power throughput would
not help you maintain a constant velocity at all. If you were trying to
code an app that allowed you to do cruise control, I would think that
you'd need to feed the Newton metrics about the vehicle's current speed
and acceleration and, have it increase the power to the motor when it
notices a drop in velocity, thottle back when it increases, etc.

I think it's doable, but a way more complicated and dangerous
complication on the already daunting task of having a newton manage a
homebrewed electric car.

I think getting a working rechargeable battery farm, a working
powerplant to actually move the thing and a throttle that moves and
stops it are first steps. Most of that development wouldn't even require
a computer at all.

I really like the project idea though. You should blog it up.

On Fri, Aug 11, 2006 at 10:12:38AM -0400, Chris Browder wrote:
> I do not appreciate your hostility, Marty. Might I ask why you think
> cruise is a dumb idea? Seems applying constant power wouldn't be a
> difficult issue, and with ANY vehicle, a constant RPM uses the least
> fuel (regardless of the type of fuel in question).
>
> -Chris
>

> On 8/11/06, Martin Joseph <NT@stillnewt.org> wrote:
> > On Aug 10, 2006, at 1:25 PM, Chris Browder wrote:
> >
> > > lastly I'd
> > > like to have it act as a cruise control
> >
> > Lastly is right. This is dumb idea, get over it.
> >
> > Marty
> >
> --

-[FLoriAN]   http://indigo.13th-floor.org -
key: wwwkeys.nl.pgp.net