Re: [NTLK] A programming question (Newton as a controller for an electric motor)

From: Chris Browder <newtonusingfox_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 16:11:55 EDT

On 8/11/06, Florian Mosleh <indigo@13th-floor.org> wrote:
> Hi, I have a question about this idea.
> On most cars, isn't cruisecontrol a system whereby the amount of
> acceleration is continuously adjusted in order to maintain a constant
> speed?
>
> It seems to me that simply maintaining a constant power throughput would
> not help you maintain a constant velocity at all. If you were trying to
> code an app that allowed you to do cruise control, I would think that
> you'd need to feed the Newton metrics about the vehicle's current speed
> and acceleration and, have it increase the power to the motor when it
> notices a drop in velocity, thottle back when it increases, etc.

I like what you're thinking, but from what I've seen of both a Ford
Focus and a 2006 Jetta, they only keep the car speeding up, they do
not slow it down if it goes down hill. It seems logical that it would
throttle back the fuel and slow the vehicle to maintain the speed, but
it simply adds fuel to keep the speed up should it drop. VERY
aggitating, set the cruise at 35, go down a steep hill and watch the
speedo climb to nearly 50.