Re: [NTLK] NCU under MAC OS 9 in Classic Mode on Tiger 10.4.7

From: <maynard_at_jmg.com>
Date: Fri Aug 11 2006 - 20:03:37 EDT

On Fri, 11 Aug 2006, Steven Combs wrote:

> K...I've completed the battery AA replacement on my eMate. I've
> received my Newton connection cable from MAC Mall (see an earlier
> message). I can connect using eScale under MAC OS X using a USB to
> serial Keyspan cable, but I can't get NCU under MAC OS 9 in Classic
> mode to recognize the cable or see the eMate. Is there something I
> need to do under Classic mode to "see" the serial device?

    Yes. You need a usb->serial extension for macos 9. Basically, a
driver. Did your usb->serial converter come with an installation disc? If
so, and it didn't come with an os9 driver, see if the vendor has one on
their website. Otherwise, you're SOL.

    Funny thing, in my prior post I said that escale wouldn't work for me
over serial. I did get escale to recognize the serial port after
installing the proper driver, but communication between the newton and
escale never worked. If it did for you, then why worry about OS 9 and NCU?
But, like I wrote before, I wound up having to boot OS 9 and use NCU too.

Worst case: there's the mem card option. Have someone ship you a mem card
with everything you need. There's a project here for that. And if no one
else will do it for you, I will. I've got a 4mb card floating around. But,
I'm not official, so I don't know what the deal is with who runs the
project and I don't want to step on any toes. Just ask around, and if you
need the help and none is forthcoming, let me know what you need and I'll
drop a card in the mail. --M