Re: [NTLK] A programming question (Newton as a controller for an electric motor)

From: Chris Browder <newtonusingfox_at_gmail.com>
Date: Sun Aug 13 2006 - 23:49:02 EDT

To all: Thanks for all the responses.

Marty -- no hard feelings, I understand bad days. I was just like
"WOAH! What the??" The idea of an electric car is a real turn off for
a lot of folks; for me I've been needing a second car for a while
(100k in 2 years is a lot for a single car that's not yet paid for),
and the Newton as a computer-diag-readout is a dream (honestly) but
I'd like to make it a reality. We'll see. But everyone has a right to
an opinion, and I value what you have to say (as it's motivation to
try and prove you wrong, not in the bad sense, in the good sportsman
sense).

J. Tylor: Yeah, talking about this with one of the electronics gurus I
want to bring in, he suggested trying to modify a speed sensor to
handle it and use the newton as just a read out and diagnostic tool
(fine with me!).

Andrei: Ah, ok .. I am sorry I misunderstood what you were saying. I
just did my 95k oil change (moved back to 5k since I've started
somehow using oil); I don't have much programming experience. I made a
simpler counter app using NTK once; and that was a long time ago. I'm
going to start reading the materials online this week and see what I
can do; I have a feeling that things will work out in the end. I'm
really, really in the preliminary stages. There is an Alternative Fuel
Festival next weekend (kicking off the premier of "Who Killed the
Electric Car?") and I'll be able to see, touch, and look at a host of
cars configurations.

James & Douglass: Yeah, I think you two are right about reducing the
use of the Newton to polling and diag; that would be best.

Morgan - I'm thinking DC; but until I see both setups at this
weekend's Expo I'm not committed to either yet. I just know I've got a
shell and an engine to sell, a car to move, and a lot of wire to run.
The first stage will be the operation electric car running OEM gauges,
as I upgrade to regenerative brakes and start looking at solar panels,
I hope to have some basis of the program written to handle the output
for the Newton cluster; Ideally I want to newton to become a
permenantly installed; but keeping it mobile may be the only option.
can only play and see. I'll also sign up for the EVDL RIGHT now!!
Thanks :)

Take care all,

Chris