Re: [NTLK] Looking for WiFi help.

From: Cerebus <cerebus2_at_gmail.com>
Date: Mon Aug 28 2006 - 19:50:54 EDT

On 8/25/06, Cerebus <cerebus2@gmail.com> wrote:

> My SSID is unique, and so far as I can tell, it is ignored. That's what's odd.

Ok. I'm getting a little confused and desperate here. Truth be told,
more than a little desperate.

I updated the MA401 card firmware and ran through the various test
configs again--join my current WAP in infrastructure mode, join my Mac
in ad-hoc mode, join my old WAP in infrastructure mode--and none
worked.

So I borrowed an old Orinoco Silver. This card is known to be
functional (works in a different device on my friend's WLAN). Only
it's not working for me in the MP2100.

Let's run down the settings:

Internet Setup--
- Created a setup, named "Home". DHCP, no domain name, card Lucent
WaveLAN/IEEE.

Owner Info--
- Created a worksite, named "Home", added 802.11b WaveLAN setup
- Setup is: Infrastructure, SSID ("Play Nice"), no WEP, advanced
settings roaming & power management enabled.

Insert the card, up comes the slip, ID's the card correctly. If I
edit the setup and I see the Home worksite details.

That's it, right?

So I launch the dock, select TCP/IP, and connect. Select Home
worksite & Home internet setup & Lucent WaveLAN/IEEE, and connect
again.

-- Sometimes, DHCP fails.
-- Sometimes, DHCP succeeds, but I have an IP in my neighbor's IP
range (I use 10.0.0.0/8, he uses 192.168.0.0/24).
-- Sometimes, DHCP fails but Dock will refuse to launch again (have to
restart the MP).

FWIW, when DHCP does succeed I can also join my neighbor's WLAN with
my PowerBook; I can then launch Escale and see the PB pop up in the
"Choose a server:" list on the MP.

This is the exact same behavior I got with the MA401. I can only
assume that 1) something is wrong with my configuration or software
installation, or 2) something is wrong with the MP.

Help! Please?

-- Tim