Re: [NTLK] Experience with NewtSync and a suggestion

From: Jon Glass <jonglass_at_usa.net>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 16:40:56 EDT

On 8/30/06, Alex Santos <izabella.misiewiczsantos@neostrada.pl> wrote:

> > It didn't make sense to me to have two
> > cals, as I would invariably get confused, even if I synced, at some
> > point, I would be out of sync, and confused, and since my Newt was
> > always with me, my Newt was where my cal went...
>
> In essence I agree with your point of Jon; however, if I my calendar
> could be mobile (Newton) - well it is - I could, when I arrive home,
> sync those new calendar entries to iCal. That would be fantastic. It
> would equally be as exciting to be able to add new entries while on
> my mac and have those sync to the Newton Calendar to keep a mirror of
> my schedules. This way, I could keep up to date and have my most
> recent calendar entries with me at all times, whether on the Mac or
> the Newton.

Actually, I don't see the need to have my calendar on my computer. OK, I
have begun doing it with my Palm, but that's more of a backup. I _never_
reference dates and todos on my computer, always on my handheld, and I have
done that for years and years. When I'm sitting at my desk, my handheld is
always right by my side. In fact, it's faster to pull out the handheld to
check a date than it is to launch iCal or Now Up to Date. However, it is
easy to envision problems if you use both. You enter a meeting in iCal, and
then forget to sync it with your Newton. You are expecting your Newton to
remind you--but it doesn't, and now you are sunk. Or almost as bad--and this
is something that bugs me about my Palm syncing with iCal. An alarm goes off
on my Palm, and within microseconds, goes of in iCal, and now I have to turn
off two alarms at the same time. What a pain! I wish I could turn of iCal
alarms automatically, but I haven't found a way yet.

It really is just simpler to have your calendar in one place, and since my
handheld is always with me, whether at my desk or not, and since it's always
accessible, even when I'm at my desk--why bother. Plus, I often have my poor
old, ancient Pismo quite "occupied" with a dozen programs, thrashing away,
and to have an alarm go off, or to be forced to launch iCal or Dashboard
just to check the calendar is too much effort when a couple taps with a
stylus or one push of a button (I like that feature of the Palm) shows me
the date without any extra cycles on my computer... Give me my handheld! ;-)
HTH explain my point of view a bit better, and maybe even convinces someone
to join me. ;-D

--
-Jon Glass
Krakow, Poland