Re: [NTLK] Experience with NewtSync and a suggestion

From: Alex Santos <izabella.misiewiczsantos_at_neostrada.pl>
Date: Wed Aug 30 2006 - 12:37:30 EDT

> It didn't make sense to me to have two
> cals, as I would invariably get confused, even if I synced, at some
> point, I would be out of sync, and confused, and since my Newt was
> always with me, my Newt was where my cal went...

In essence I agree with your point of Jon; however, if I my calendar
could be mobile (Newton) - well it is - I could, when I arrive home,
sync those new calendar entries to iCal. That would be fantastic. It
would equally be as exciting to be able to add new entries while on
my mac and have those sync to the Newton Calendar to keep a mirror of
my schedules. This way, I could keep up to date and have my most
recent calendar entries with me at all times, whether on the Mac or
the Newton.

Unfortunately, for me, my primary machine, is the mac for a variety
of reasons. The Newton as wonderful as it is can't do the internet
thing as quickly or robustly as my Mac can and as such, the Newton,
as I see it - considering my current workflow, makes for a incredible
companion to a full fledged PC.

Now if only those calendar syncing tools on the Newton side were more
robust. Perhaps there are third party or other solutions.

Interestingly I exported one of my iCal entries, here is a portion of
it as it appeared in TextEdit, a simple text editor:

BEGIN:VCALENDAR
VERSION:2.0
X-WR-CALNAME:Platon
PRODID:-//Apple Computer\, Inc//iCal 2.0//EN
X-WR-RELCALID:122BE6DF-D8E9-458D-A040-1D174C92F9A8
X-WR-TIMEZONE:Europe/Warsaw
CALSCALE:GREGORIAN
METHOD:PUBLISH
BEGIN:VTIMEZONE
TZID:Europe/Warsaw
LAST-MODIFIED:20060830T162655Z
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT
DTSTART:20050327T010000
TZOFFSETTO:+0200
TZOFFSETFROM:+0000
TZNAME:CEST
END:DAYLIGHT
BEGIN:STANDARD
DTSTART:20051030T030000
TZOFFSETTO:+0100
TZOFFSETFROM:+0200
TZNAME:CET
END:STANDARD
BEGIN:DAYLIGHT

Gosh, some of this can be read and deciphered without to much pain.
As an exported file, it appears rather simple. I hope some developer
might be interested in pursuing the cause of making syncing a less
painful and bug free process - in essence a practicality.

Alex