Re: [NTLK] Considering Newton as eBook Reader

From: Dan <dan_at_dbdigitalweb.com>
Date: Tue Dec 05 2006 - 13:50:44 EST

Yes I agree using the 2100 to make the book then send it to the 100
series will work, but then you need 2 Newtons. I would suggest (if you
really want to just go with a 120 or 130 and not get a 2100) you make a
Newtonbook on your desktop with Press. It is fairly simple procedure,
but it will require conversion to say .rtf first as Press won't take
HTML directly. Also depending on OS you are using on your desktop it
can have problems. For example it does not work in OSX if I remember
correctly. I don't have any problems with the windows version though.

Another method would be to use Bookmaker, but that has limitations on
what screen size you can set the text for. It will work on newtons with
a larger screen but you will have a "window" rather than the book using
all of the Newton's screen space. Also this method will require you to
add "markup" text to the original document (which should be RTF or TXT
format) with such information as book name, where to put the table of
contents (if you want one) etc. This method will take longer the first
time you do a book or two, but after words I find it faster to use
Bookmaker than Press if I want a Table of Contents. Otherwise Press is
the fastest by far. You might also want to take a look at the tutorial
I wrote on making books in unna at:

http://www.unna.org/unna/windows/NewtonBookmaking101/NewtonBookmaking101-files.zip

Both of these programs will create package files you then download to
your Newton (which can be done over a network). The method Woody
suggests is sending the HTML file directly to a 2100, having that create
a Newtonbook then reading it there or sending it to a 120 by sending the
book back to your Desktop then to a 120 or by beaming it directly (which
would be the slower of the two methods). Either I am sure will work, it
is just a matter of which you want to do.

-Dan