[NTLK] Interconnect / serial

From: Mr Jonathan Dueck <jonathandueck_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Tue Dec 19 2006 - 15:00:30 EST

Hi, folks!

I've just got a Newton 2100, and am really enjoying it
(and it looks fabulous in its Newton Holster — thanks
Sonny! and holds a ton of files on its ATA card —
thanks, Paul!).

However, reading the list's archive of horror stories
about the Interconnect Port has me worried about using
the (otherwise very nice) Newton Keyboard I've got
with the machine.

I'm considering getting an SER-001 or other Dongle
Destroyer (I see them on eBay occasionally, circa
$50). I'm an awful solderer, but good at taking apart
and putting together small parts. I suspect it will
take me a little while to get around to it, so here
are my resulting questions:

1) Does anyone have a recommendation for the best
place to buy a serial board (Dongle Destroyer or
SER-001)? It seems they used to be less expensive than
the $50 for which they're listed on eBay these days...

2) In the meantime, should I stop using my keyboard,
or would I be (relatively) safe to file down the pins
on the Interconnect serial dongle and use it, for a
few weeks?

Thanks, all!

Regards,
Jon