Re: [NTLK] [OT] iPod was from DEC, Palo Alto

From: Andrei Chichak <newton_at_chichak.ca>
Date: Sat Dec 30 2006 - 12:39:43 EST

On 12/30/2006 10:10:19 AM, Keith Johnson (slowendmac@comcast.net) wrote:
> On Dec 30, 2006, at 8:43 AM, John wrote:
> > The iPod project had to be so secret it was named the P-68 for project
> > 68. Another project was code-named "Sagan" as in Carl. Carl
> > supposedly threatened or actually sued Apple for using his name!
> > As a
> > backhanded coy rename of the Sagan project as "BHA" it's rumored that
> > BHA stood for Butt-Head Astronomer, LOL. No disrespect intended.
> >

> According to several Apple history sites, the "Sagan" and "BHA" names
> were for the Power Mac 7100.

When Apple converted over from Motorola 680X0 processors to the
PowerPC chips, they came out with three new machines; a pizza box
(6100), a desktop box (7100), and a tower (8100). The codenames given
to these three were the great frauds of science PDM (Piltdown Man),
Carl Sagan, and Cold Fusion respectively.

I got to try out a Carl Sagan and stole the name sticker off of the
shipping box.

As for Compaq and HP not "getting it", wasn't Woz working for
HP when the Apple I was put together? They didn't get it.

Andrei