[NTLK] Relative 'speeds' of various Newtons

From: Jon Scordia (jscordia_at_mac.com)
Date: Mon Feb 06 2006 - 13:02:30 PST

Hi list. I'm sure the root of this enquiry is that I fancy adding an
eMate to the collection and am trying to justify it! Anyway:

1. My everyday workhorse is a 2000. Per previous posts I am finding
it slow on the Net and need to get to grips with what an upgrade to a
2100 would actually do for me. I think I prefer that option to the
220MHz switchable upgrade. I just can't get a feel for what real-life
improvements such an upgrade will make to this 'workhorse' and what
realistically I should expect from it. (that's the key question
really). How 'snappy' is your 'net experience? I'm sure the extra
memory would help my suite of daily apps to work more freely together.

2. I also have a 130. I bought that cheep to see whether the aluStand
(remember that? still in the works!) could be made to accommodate it
too (yes). I find it really slow in the HWR dept. Frustrating.

3. How does an eMate compare? A much slower processor than the 2000,
but more application memory? (or am I wrong?) Is it snappier than the
130? Is it as useable as the 2000? How do those with WiFi card view
their 'net experience?

A string of questions, but all related to the real life usability of
these machines. I would welcome your views!!!

Cheers!

Jon