Re: [NTLK] Questions about phonecards

From: Martin Joseph (NT_at_stillnewt.org)
Date: Mon Feb 20 2006 - 21:00:21 PST

On Feb 20, 2006, at 3:19 PM, Giulio Marchi wrote:

> All right, I may admit that I am not going to add anything extremely
> useful to the conversation, still I would like to join this request for
> information about PCMCIA cardphones.
There definitely was someone doing this successfully with a modern card
phone. Try searching the archives if that's working?

> Apparently the FAQ do not mention them and some live experience or wise
> advise, e.g. on how hard it is to make them work, would be extremely
> useful for the mortal of us. I say "hard" and not "impossible" to make
> them work as actually there is a NokiaCardPhone2.0.pkg in drivers/modem
> of UNNA and I am inclined to think that it must have some reason to
> exist...
>
> I see that several people still manage to use the GSM card to connect
> the Newton to a cell phone but I agree that one could feel like the
> time-warp kid because of the supported phones.
You can use bluetooth to connect through a modern Nokia GSM phone that
support GPRS.
> In addition, unless you
> agree to use two phones, it would imply to change your phone to a
> *much* older one if I am not wrong and, even if you use your cell phone
> just to phone and you have the most simple model (as I do), still there
> are several other issues to be considered such as general obsolescence,
> batteries, display, signal, etc.
No, see above.

> A simple cardphone would be something really close to an elegant
> solution. So: if you know something about PCMCIA cardphones, please
> enlighten us.
There is someone who did this for sure. I remember being surprised
when they reported success...

Maybe it was Roman? Not sure.

Marty