Re: [NTLK] Nitro/OBEX problem

From: Roland Roberts (roland_at_astrofoto.org)
Date: Wed Jan 04 2006 - 09:22:08 PST

    gjw> I'm having some mail issues with Newtontalk, hope this entire
    gjw> response comes through this time......

    gjw> Re: [NTLK] Nitro/OBEX problem

    gjw> Just curious, why do you have to transfer via OBEX? Wouldn't
    gjw> you just "Beam" from one Newton to the other via the built in
    gjw> function?

Well, that's an excellent question. I've wasted, er, spent most of this
morning trying to match up packages between the two and now that I have
them 100% alike in terms of installs (okay, not quite---I can't install
QF:NewtWorks on the "new" MP until I install an old version of it; the
package I have is an "upgrade" version, so I have to go find an older
one to install first). DateMan doesn't show Beam as an option from the
main display. But if I click on an item to edit it, I can beam it from
there. That would be a bit tedious but doable. Having never had a
second Newt to work with, I have no idea as to whether or not it was
always doing this or if this is some new misbehavior.

From the built-in Dates, I can check them off and beam them all. But
Dates doesn't understand some of the DateMan objects :-( DateMan on the
"old" MP is misbehaving, too. It won't roll over my TODO items like it
used to, but it is working fine on the "new" MP. And the SAS Freeze
utilities extension allows me to freeze packages on my "old" MP, but not
on the "new" one.

    gjw> I was under the impression that OBEX was for transmitting to
    gjw> PALM. Can you not just do a complete back-up and then transfer
    gjw> it to the new Newton? SBM Utilities is another route, allowing
    gjw> you to copy from one card to another. One thing to be careful
    gjw> of is that some of your software may be using the Owner ID , so
    gjw> make sure that it is typed in exactly the same in your new
    gjw> unit. Maybe someone else will chime in, but some software uses
    gjw> the ID of the unit also.

I would love to do a complete backup and reinstall on the "new" Newton.
I *believe* everything uses the Owner ID (name); certainly all of the
StandAlone stuff does. But...I've not had any luck with NBU; it
*always* drops out somewhere. I've got an old PowerComputer machine,
but it's been stripped of a lot of its software and the CD-ROM died. I
bought a CD-ROM off ebay that was on the list of supported drives for
FWB's CD toolkit, but in spite of the fact that the FWB config displays
the ID the same as on the list, it unhelpfully tells me it is not a
supported drives. Grrr.....

I've also go a new iMac G5 and a Mac mini---the former is my wife's and
the latter for the kids, but if I ask real nice, they'll probably let me
use them. Neither has a serial port, but the FAQ claims I can use NBU
over AppleTalk, so I can go try that next. Can anyone confirm that this
is likely to work?

    gjw> Hey, Maybe a good thing for the wiki, a list of software and
    gjw> what there serial scheme is?

    gjw> No one else has responded, I hope I'm not overlooking
    gjw> something. Also you can change what ever icons you want in your
    gjw> Button Bar (it's a little tricky at first) just hold down on
    gjw> the icon you want till it makes the 'squeek' noise, then slowly
    gjw> drag it from the unfiled area to the button bar.

They don't drag for me...all I get is a wide line which ends up
selecting other icons.

roland

--
                       PGP Key ID: 66 BC 3B CD
roland_at_rlenter.com                            6818 Madeline Court