[NTLK] The simple joy of Claris Organizer

From: Michael C. Wittmann (mwittmann_at_maine.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 09 2006 - 18:03:02 PST

Hi, all,

I haven't used Claris Organizer in years, mostly because I always got
some crazy lousy error from some repeat meeting or whatever.
Synchronizing just never worked for me.

Last week, with the new year, I moved all my data from 2005 that I no
longer need to a card. It's there, if I want it and push the card in,
but it's not actively used. Archiving on a yearly basis has been a
policy of mine, and it gives me a fresh mental start. Dates and Tasks
get put away, Notes are only kept if they are truly active in my mind
- and again, I can go back to the old things if needed.

So, with a nearly empty Newton, I decided to try to use NCU and
Claris Organizer with each other. What the hell, you know? I don't
mind running Classic in OS X for my Newton needs, and NewtSync has
never been able to get iCal working appropriately since I moved to
Tiger (should have stayed with Panther...). So first I export data,
merge it, open the files... what a pain in the ass. I would never do
that regularly. So, why not, let's try it, I hit synch... and it
worked. No lost data, no problems. My repeat meetings are listed as
individual meetings in Claris, and I don't mind. The Newton is the
master of my dates, basically. I can add tasks in Claris and they
show up in the Newton. Dude, it's been a looooong time since that
really worked in my life. I can jot something down in a new Note and
it shows up on the Newton.

I know, I know, it sounds silly to talk about it. I'd just forgotten
what it was like to have systems that actually successfully
interacted with each other! I thought I'd share the joy with others,
that's all.

ciao,
Michael