Re: [NTLK] Appletalk over Ethernet

From: Giulio Marchi (emfdb_at_tiscali.it)
Date: Sat Jan 14 2006 - 13:55:22 PST

Il giorno 14/gen/06, alle 03:59, Doug Denby ha scritto:
> I am on an iBook G4, trying to connect, with NCU through Classic 9.2.2
> to my MP2100 via ethernet.
> The Chooser under 9.2.2 reports that Appletalk needs to be turned on.
> It is turned on according to OSX. But it fails. Keeps telling me to
> turn on Appletalk throught the Control Panel that doesn't exist.

With a configuration quite similar to yours, after all the AppleTalk
issues, I switched to TCP/IP but the following is what I wrote about
the AppleTalk on a direct Ethernet connection with Escale and its
counterintuitive trick. I am not sure this is exactly what you are
looking for but it could be somehow helpful.

- Mac: start AppleTalk in OSX
- Mac: open Escale, set on AppleTalk
- Newton: open Dock, set on AppleTalk
- Newton: even if the target computer is already listed from the
previous connection, choose "connect to other computer"
- Newton: when the computer is listed, do not close this window but
move it in order to click "connect" on the main dock window
If I recall correctly, this last line is crucial for the success of the
operation.

I remember that AppleTalk has to be somehow "waken up and kept alive"
for the connection to be established. There should be a proper
explanation somewhere, probably in the wiki, but in the meanwhile this
could be enough for you.

... somebody wrote somewhere that he could establish the connection
without this trick but just rapidly closing and clicking "connect": I
never managed to do so.

Regards,

Giulio