Re: [NTLK] new member, old newton owner

From: Ed Kummel (tech_ed_at_yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Jan 30 2006 - 09:33:38 PST

Try my site.
  My mime types are set by my server and the download code I wrote modifies the header to assure that the pkg gets downloaded as a PKG and not as something else.
  Website is in the tagline.
  Ed
  web/gadget guru
  Download Newton packages directly onto your Newton: http://newton.tek-ed.com

Harry Teasley <hteasley_at_gmail.com> wrote:
  Hello, I'm a new subscriber, having just dug my old newts out of a box
and am now interested in getting them running with the latest
software.

My trouble is that I have a 2100 without a serial cable and no extra
software installed, and a 120 with NOS1.3. I'm trying to get the 2100
bootstrapped to run an ethernet card, but am having a devil of a time
finding an archive where I can actually download pkg files correctly.

Every web browser wants to download them as text, and I can't seem to
change that with any browser I try (even when I set the MIME types
within the browser). I've FTPed some packages and had some success,
and a lot of -10401 errors on the newt trying to transfer them (bad
package error).

Does anyone know of a site that actually stuffs the pkg files, so I
can download them and unstuff them with their resource forks intact?
I've FTPed some packages that were zipped, and I used ResEdit to
restore their creator codes, but got the -10401 error on them.

Anyway, if anyone can point me to an archive that stuffs the pkg files
for download, that would be great. I've got a 3com LAN card, and a
DLink LAN card, either of which I'd be happy to get running so I can
get more software on without having to serial transfer to the 120 and
then irDA to the 2100.

Thanks in advance for any help. (Why does this have to be this hard?!)

Harry Teasley

"Dah-doo-weeeeeee   da-da-da-doo-we dow!"